sexta-feira, 22 de julho de 2016

THE POWER OF WORDS

Then the Lord reached out his hand
and touched my mouth and said to me,
“I have put my words in your mouth.
See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms
to uproot and tear down,
to destroy and overthrow,
to build and to plant.”
Jeremiah 1:9-10 (read 1:4-10) NIV

The spoken or written word is the most powerful tool we have. A word maliciously spoken may hurt much more than a stone. Stones may break your bones, but words can injure your mind and embitter your soul for the rest of your life. Words can give you joy or bring grief. They can whet your appetite or turn your stomach. They inspire love or incite hatred!

Demagogues use words to manipulate the masses in order to achieve their goals. Tyrants repeat lies until people actually believe them. Eighty years ago Hitler employed hateful words and lying to take a nation to war and genocide. President Bush repeated the feat after September 11, 2001 in order to invade and destroy two weak countries, leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people! Speech can ignite and bring crowds to insanity such as in Jonestown in 1978 when Pastor Jim Jones led 900 people to ingest deadly poison, claiming that it was God's command. Today politicians are using words that create fear, hysteria, anger and hatred which lead to wars and mass shootings and all kinds of violence.

With words we construct our world. Our experiences are translated into words and these words reinforce these experiences. When we judge ourselves to be offended we can react with harsh words to create a climate of hostility, or we can use soft words to disarm and reconcile. Through our words we influence the world around us.

By using lies and deception we can create false worlds, subject to crumbling under the light of truth. We live in worlds built upon falsehoods by those who hold political, military, economic, and religious power. Their words of self-promotion are used to hide truth and to lead to biases, exploitation, injustice and violence. Much of what we are led to see are facades which are destined to collapse at the moment of truth.

The prophetic word is intended to "build and plant". It is good news for those who are suffering the effects of destructive words. It does not call attention to itself, is not self-promoting and does not hide the truth. It is simple, humble, open and liberating. It is realistic and optimistic at the same time.

Jesus is the model of the prophetic word. He did not speak of himself, but of the reality of the Kingdom which is already here. His words promoted life which consists of love, forgiveness, justice and peace. God was the "daddy" (or "Mommy") who embraces everyone as his children. Unfortunately we are seeing the opposite taking place in our so called Christian societies.

People’s life story is a play on words. They can choose whom they want to hear and believe. Violence is possible, because people choose to believe the words of violence and let themselves be manipulated. If they embody those words they reproduce destructive actions. Destruction generates destruction.

Peacemakers are people who open their ears and hearts to the words that plant feelings of love and compassion which in turn build lives. Peace creates peace. Without peacemakers the world will perish. May the words of Jesus touch our lips so that we can reveal His Kingdom of love, forgiveness, justice and peace!!!

JEREMIAH 1:4-10 – NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION (NIV)

The word of the Lord came to me, saying,

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
    before you were born I set you apart;
    I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
“Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”

But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.

Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.”


Nenhum comentário: